Mastic sealants compatible with CPVC sprinkler pipes
Zurich’s recent “Risk topic” focused on CPVC pipes failures and how using compatible mastic sealants can help mitigate the risk of failure.
The literature for CPVC sprinkler pipes provides a list of materials by brand that is approved for use with their piping components. It may also list products that are found through either manufacturer or independent testing to erode CPVC and cause weakening at connection points or cracking in straight pipe sections due to contact.
There are a number of precautions that can be taken at each stage of the project to ensure that the materials specified and used form a compatible system including:
- When used for fire protection systems, all CPVC piping and fittings should conform to F4221, which is entitled: “Standard Specification for Chlorinated Poly (Vinyl Chloride) (CPVC) Plastic Pipe (SDRPR).
- Care must be taken during the design phase to specify compatible piping, fittings, connection adhesives and caulking or sealants that will come into contact with CPVC piping. If product compatibility data is unclear, design professionals should always contact the manufacturer. Piping and fitting should be sourced from the same manufacturer.
- Additional care is required during the product submittal stage to ensure that compatible specified products are not substituted for products that are non-compatible.
- Quality control protocols on site will also help to eliminate the possibility of tradespeople using incorrect materials. This might include daily site inspections to ensure only approved materials are available for use.
Remove the guesswork – choose blue
Tested to BS EN1366-3 and CPVC manufacturer-approved, Nullifire’s latest addition to the fire stopping range provides contractors across the UK with the perfect solution.
FS719 HP Blue for CPVC is a unique sealant, developed specifically for CPVC materials. The product is a distinctive blue colour, for easy visual identification and traceability.
Nullifire FS719 offers:
- Up to 2 hours fire resistance
- Versatile & easy to apply
- Can be used with FB750 Intubatt Coated Batt
- Tested in openings up to 365 x 700 mm
For more information about FS719 visit our product pages where data sheets are available for download.
Our passive fire stopping expert trainer Dave Steel demonstrates the use of the FS719 with FB750 Intubatt preparing apertures for CPVC pipes in the short video below.
For more information, or to order FS719, contact our friendly and knowledgeable team.
Download the guidance from Zurich here [PDF]